Holly Golightly: You know those days when you get the mean reds?
Paul Varjak: The mean reds, you mean like the blues?
Holly Golightly: No. The blues are because you're getting fat and maybe it's been raining too long, you're just sad that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?
Paul Varjak: Sure.
Holly Golightly: Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that'd make me feel like Tiffany's, then - then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name!
Holly's way to combat the Mean Reds is to go to the Tiffany's flagship store in Manhattan, NYC. Mine is as follows:
- Put my earbuds in my ears, pick my favorite iPod playlist, then turn it up loud enough to drown out all other sounds
- Get your favorite warm drink. Mine is a Starbucks Americano w/ white mocha syrup, out of a green straw of course
- Flip through your favorite girly magazine. Mine is Vogue, I just love love the photos and colors
- Put on your favorite scent, either perfume or a candle or home oil. My best feel good smell is The Body Shop home oils, usually Exotic or Satsuma. Light that baby up and put it right near you so its potent
- Open the curtains/blinds/shutters to let in as much natural light as possible
- Keep your notebook and pen handy to write down whatever pops in your head. You can vent, be inspired, remember something you'd forgotten. Be prepared because you never know what will happen.