Friday, January 1, 2010

Recipe - Black Bean Chili

I'm slowly getting used to my crockpot & my new kitchen (and just cooking in general) and I like finding new recipes that I would actually repeat. This is one of them. Its simple, its yummy, and its good for you. And it actually comes from my FitOrbit trainer, Charlanne, so thank you to her!

Makes 6 servings: Serving size about 1 cup (about 285 calories)


Ingredients:
1 tbspn canola oil
1 3/4 cups finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbspn chili powder
2 tspn ground cumin
3 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup water
1 tbspn sugar
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained


Instructions:
Heat canola oil in a big regular pot over medium heat
Add onion & garlic; saute for 6 minutes or just until onion mixture begins to brown
Add chili powder & cumin (or substitute with taco mix); cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly
Add beans, water, sugar, tomatoes; stirring to combine
Bring to a boil; reduce heat, & simmer for 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. (Lid off)
Ta da!


Then I bust out 6 plastic containers and divide the goods evenly, so that its all ready for my lunches/dinners.



 

1 comment:

Ondine said...

I'm definitely going to give this one a go - anything with black beans in is fine by me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...